Florida is known as the Sunshine State and was admitted to the union on March 3, 1845. Florida was not counted as one of the original 13 colonies. In 1819 under The Adams–Onís Treaty aka Florida Purchase Treaty (between Spain and the U.S.) Florida was surrendered to the U.S.
In the late 19th century, people from northern states began spending the winter months in Florida to avoid the cold weather.
When Florida became a state in 1845 the population was around 60,000. Today Florida’s population is 21.99 million making it the 3rd most popular state.
Florida is known for:
- Beautiful beaches
- Year-round warmer weather
- Orange and other citrus crops
- Kennedy Space Center
- Disney World
- Theme Parks
- The Everglades
- Freshwater Springs
It is said there is something for everyone to do in Florida. In addition to the things Florida is known for, it is also the first state for these:
- September 8, 1566 – The first Thanksgiving in North America in St Augustine
- January 1, 1914 – The world’s first scheduled commercial flight flew from St Petersburg to Tampa
- 1944 – First sunscreen was developed by Benjamin Green (a Miami based pharmacist)
- 1958 – Explorer 1 was launched which was the first US earth satellite
- Gatorade was developed at the University of Florida
As you can see, Florida has an interesting history, places to visit and lots of firsts. Our first snack box from Florida delivered the flavor of this popular state with the delicious citrus in the key lime cookies, orange delicacy candy and lime tortilla chips. We also had coconut patties, Angel mints (peppermint and chocolate), Astronaut Ice Cream, plantain chips, pecan roll slices, crystallized ginger and sea salt and vinegar chips. Our boxes come in three sizes red (6+ gourmet snacks), white (9+ gourmet snacks) and blue (12+ gourmet snacks).
We are excited for our next month’s featured state boxes! We
can’t wait for you to order so we can send it to you or for a gift for your
friend or loved one.